News Forum - Study: Sinovac with a Pfizer booster more effective that AstraZeneca

Thaiger

On 1/12/2022 at 11:27 PM, Stonker said:

Regardless of the effectiveness of Sinovac or Astra Zeneca, it's unfortunate that the government has purchased 60 million doses of Astra Zeneca and only 30 million doses of Pfizer this year (2022).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2235715/govt-to-spend-b35bn-on-covid-vaccines

Either way, money spent on Sinovac or Astra Zeneca appears to be money wasted not buying Pfizer or Moderna.

I don't see it that way. Vaccine procurement isn't like going to 7-11 to buy beers. It involves securing production capacity from the makers and if Pfizer or Moderna has only 30 million doses for Thailand then that's that.

I wouldn't dismiss AZ or Sinovac's performance so quickly though cause looking at the main users of Pfizer & Moderna vaccines they are still experiencing massive surges of daily cases.

On 1/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, vlad said:

Yet the Thai government paid for Sinovac which turned out to be the most expensive vaccine of them all. Clueless and the price of there ignorance is now  being heaped on the Thai people.

If you're talking about just the price of the vaccine itself than yes Sinovac is among the most expensive one there is. But do remember the cost of vaccine is not just the price of the vaccine itself you have to look at the cost from the vaccine, transport, storage up till delivery to the end user.

Initially Pfizer's shipping requires temperatures between -80°C and -60°C (-112°F and -76°F), could only be kept in a normal freezer at -20°C (-4°F) for two weeks, and unopened vials could only be stored at refrigerated temperatures of between 2-8°C for five days, before either being used or thrown away. Very few countries had the capacity to manage a vaccine requiring ultra-cold storage.

The costs of all these ultra cold storage in the end made Sinovac the better choice for Thailand to rapidly distribute the vaccine to all the front line workers and people at risks especially in the far flung corners of the deepest provinces.

Only recently did Pfizer & Moderna revised the requirements for shipping & storage eliminating the need for ultra cold storage which is why they phased out Sinovac and switched to these 2 vaccines.

Perhaps this "clueless & ignorance" has actually helped Thailand, I mean Thailand isn't doing that bad compared to say countries that use mainly Pfizer/Moderna such as the US, European countries etc. These countries are experiencing a crushing fourth wave with infection numbers going off the roof eventhough they were all protected by the (supposedly) more superior Pfizer vaccine.

Thailand did the best it could at that time given the circumstances and the limited availability of vaccines.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 7:14 PM, Rain said:

Not enough attention, if any, to these figures was played upon. To this day, this dramatic fact and reality is ignored and certainly not marketable by them........as they have something else to sell - repeated over and again. 

The picture, not only has been missed. But deliberately removed from it's display and secretly hidden away. 

Of that 0.02% average Covid death rate , 3/4 were very old with other 1/4 seriously unfit. ….. with nearly all unvaxxed. So for a genuinely fit person, vaxxed or not ,the odds of death by Covid are astronomically tiny…..of no concern to fit rational folk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Of that 0.02% average Covid death rate , 3/4 were very old with other 1/4 seriously unfit. ….. with nearly all unvaxxed. So for a genuinely fit person, vaxxed or not ,the odds of death by Covid are astronomically tiny…..of no concern to fit rational folk.

Good god after nearly 3 years of Covid people still don't get it. The whole reason for vaccines was to stop health systems being overwhelmed leading to rafts of people dying from completely unrelated issues due to no capacity !! That's it nothing else !! 

It was not to stop you catching it, (who has ever said that?) it was not to stop you dying (predominently), it was to make the condition less severe so you didn't become part of a bigger problem and on that score it has been spectacularly successful. 

To not get vaccinated simply translates as you don't give a flying shit about anyone else but yourself. Nice!

On 1/13/2022 at 12:56 AM, ctxa said:

While Moderna and Pfizer are more effective than Sinovac and AZ...

... I couldn't be happier with the Sino + AZ mix I got, why? Because I am young, and I believe Sino + AZ is more than enough which happens also to be the old school technology. No need for me to try the "new & less tested" mRNA technology. 

(Again not saying Moderna or Pfizer are dangerous at all, it's just I think I don't need it, and I know several people who also share this thought).

Agree with your logic and it backs up my decision being older with cormobidities to opt for a Phizer booster. I feel 1 SV and one AZ may not be good enough for me personally, and chose Phizer over another AZ. Hope I'm right as the booster is tomorrow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Good god after nearly 3 years of Covid people still don't get it. The whole reason for vaccines was to stop health systems being overwhelmed leading to rafts of people dying from completely unrelated issues due to no capacity !! That's it nothing else !! 

It was not to stop you catching it, (who has ever said that?) it was not to stop you dying (predominently), it was to make the condition less severe so you didn't become part of a bigger problem and on that score it has been spectacularly successful. 

To not get vaccinated simply translates as you don't give a flying shit about anyone else but yourself. Nice!

Secondary not primary benefit. no need to hospitalize unless breathing problems. so many self-abusing unfit western people that “free” health systems were already at breaking point before Covid, with perhaps 85% self-a users relying on state to “ fix” them. These health systems are indeed broken now, with five year non- Covid waiting lists, many of whom will simply die before treatment.
Lessons Learned: Get & Stay Healthy. Carry Private Insurance. Triple Vaxxed primarily for Personal Work / Health / Travel Convenience with secondary Societal benefit.

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Agree with your logic and it backs up my decision being older with cormobidities to opt for a Phizer booster. I feel 1 SV and one AZ may not be good enough for me personally, and chose Phizer over another AZ. Hope I'm right as the booster is tomorrow.

Rational decision where choice existed.

Decided to Reject all non- western vax when first available.

Took Free available Govt. western vax: AZx2 & Moderna

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, Rookiescot said:

Yeah I'm thinking I will go with the results published by an institute like Yale University rather than some unheard of lab in Bangkok. 

Exactly. That “ study” is obvious nonsense,  pro - CCP political propaganda.

Intended also to support the massive Thai govt. spend on the largely ineffective (against Delta) Sinovac.

no non- western Covid vax has ever been approved by any reputable western institutes ? 

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Exactly. That “ study” is obvious nonsense,  pro - CCP political propaganda.

Intended also to support the massive Thai govt. spend on the largely ineffective (against Delta) Sinovac.

no non- western Covid vax has ever been approved by any reputable western institutes ? 

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travel-list-of-eu-countries-accepting-sinovac-vaccine-as-proof-of-immunity-for-entry/

Based on the figures provided by VisaGuide.Worl’s new tool, which allows travellers to verify the validity of their vaccine when travelling abroad, the EU/Schengen Area countries listed below accept Sinovac as valid proof of vaccination:

Austria
Cyprus
Finland
Greece
Iceland
The Netherlands
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Looking at that lightweight country list it’s political approval re. China Trade & Suck Up …..No heavy hitters like Germany & France. Certainly the real vax experts (designers/ manufacturers) like UK and USA have not approved Sinovac. 

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Looking at that lightweight country list it’s political approval re. China Trade & Suck Up …..No heavy hitters like Germany & France. Certainly the real vax experts (designers/ manufacturers) like UK and USA have not approved Sinovac. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

Approved vaccines

You must have had a complete course of one of the following vaccines at least 14 days before you arrive in England:

• Covaxin
  • Moderna
  • Janssen (single dose vaccine)
  • Novavax (Nuvaxovid and Covovax)
  • Oxford/AstraZeneca
  • Pfizer BioNTech
  • Sinopharm Beijing
  • Sinovac-CoronaVac

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Benroon said:

Point made is the tiny remote risk of Covid death for regular folk.

people act in self interest….. evolutionary instinct.

societal infrastructure is there for best economic function. 
whenever put into place for emotional “caring” reasons like Welfare or NHS it’s quickly overwhelmed by self- abusers and has to be limited.

I’m triple vaxxed purely for selfish personal reasons….