News Forum - Thailand to charge foreign tourists 300 baht entry fee starting April 1

Thaiger

On 1/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, Thommo said:

On the surface maybe, but just try getting treament at a teir1 hospital like Bumrungrad.  50 baht to cover insurance for medical tourisim costs!😅  At least it may decrease the E begging that can go on when some tourist has health or accident issues with no tavel insurance in the future.

I would be happy with any insured coverage at any level. For a reasonably priced policy I don't expect gold-plated coverage. 

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

That could happen in the blink of an eye. I started spending most of the year living in Thailand back in 2005. At that time I was able to get a multiple entry Non-O visa at my local consulate for £90 in under 20 mins. No insurance. No 800,000 baht in a bank. I’d come in, stay 90 days. Then have a weekend trip to Malaysia (visa exempt) and back in for another 90 days. Not any longer. That all changed around 2010-2012 I think it was. Since then the Non-O has become very difficult and/or expensive. The real concern is if they suddenly add health insurance for those on a retirement extension with a Non-O. I’m still in my 50’s and so could expect to pay a few hundred pounds a year for health insurance. Once you hit 65 or 70, the numbers ramp up very quickly. How many could afford to pay 100,000-200,000 baht a year for health insurance aged 75?  Thailand is doing a great job at slowly making it a less attractive place to retire to. Well done Thailand. That’s what they’ve set out to do over a period of many years (no one will notice that way) and they are slowly getting there. Can’t say I blame them. 

If you  can’t afford to come you should stay home.  Noone wants to take  care of those who come but can't afford it. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soidog said:

That could happen in the blink of an eye. I started spending most of the year living in Thailand back in 2005. At that time I was able to get a multiple entry Non-O visa at my local consulate for £90 in under 20 mins. No insurance. No 800,000 baht in a bank. I’d come in, stay 90 days. Then have a weekend trip to Malaysia (visa exempt) and back in for another 90 days. Not any longer. That all changed around 2010-2012 I think it was. Since then the Non-O has become very difficult and/or expensive. The real concern is if they suddenly add health insurance for those on a retirement extension with a Non-O. I’m still in my 50’s and so could expect to pay a few hundred pounds a year for health insurance. Once you hit 65 or 70, the numbers ramp up very quickly. How many could afford to pay 100,000-200,000 baht a year for health insurance aged 75?  Thailand is doing a great job at slowly making it a less attractive place to retire to. Well done Thailand. That’s what they’ve set out to do over a period of many years (no one will notice that way) and they are slowly getting there. Can’t say I blame them. 

Sounds like you were bypassing the financial requirements of having 800,000 in a Thai bank. Covid stopped this option and forced those who didn't have the resources to leave or use an agent. 

Things change all the time and if they require Thai insurance so be it, but I'm fully covered by my employer paid retirement health package.

The subject here was a 300 baht entry fee for foreigners. Anyone that doesn't want to pay shouldn't come. They switching the story to retiree on non o visa is really a diversion from the small entry fee to be charged.

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

Depends on which country you live in or a national of. I’m lucky to be in a country where they have a well funded National Health System. I have paid in to that over the years through my taxation, but now it essentially feels like it’s free. 

No thanks NHS is really socialized medicine, where you let others determine if you get care and when. I've heard of long waits and/or denials of service. At least in the health caremarketplace yo can change plans if not happy.

Thai health care is super reasonable and timely. If I need to pay first it's OK and seems reasonable

3 hours ago, LoongFred said:

If you  can’t afford to come you should stay home.  Noone wants to take  care of those who come but can't afford it. 

Some people who retired in Thailand 20 years ago could afford it. Then the government changed the rules. That was the point of my reply. Things can change. 300 baht could become 1,000. 800,000 baht for retirement could be one 2,000,000. That was my point. 

• Like 1

No thanks NHS is really socialized medicine, where you let others determine if you get care and when. I've heard of long waits and/or denials of service. At least in the health caremarketplace yo can change plans if not happy.

Thai health care is super reasonable and timely. If I need to pay first it's OK and seems reasonable

Obviously have no idea or first hand knowledge about the UK NHS then. Fair enough as you aren’t from the UK. But best not to talk about things you know nothing about 

Sounds like you were bypassing the financial requirements of having 800,000 in a Thai bank. Covid stopped this option and forced those who didn't have the resources to leave or use an agent. 

Things change all the time and if they require Thai insurance so be it, but I'm fully covered by my employer paid retirement health package.

The subject here was a 300 baht entry fee for foreigners. Anyone that doesn't want to pay shouldn't come. They switching the story to retiree on non o visa is really a diversion from the small entry fee to be charged.

Not bypassing anything. 60 day tourist visa. Maybe extend it at 1,900 baht, then outta there and back to a normal life. Repeat when I choose. 

The 300 baht discussion was related to how that will help or hinder tourism. Given all the other things Thailand is doing wrong, 300 baht is way down the list of things that will put tourists off from going. But then again, you don’t care about Thais or Thailand. You have your pension and health care from another country. So you are privileged enough to have to care. 

300 Baht does seem cheap, as where I live in a predominantly migrant worker area, most from Myanmar, have annual insurance from the local district hospital. We bought this for my late father in law when he was approaching 90 a few years ago.

It cost 1700 Baht and for the year he had cover, we saved about 10k Baht in hospital charges.

If they have a working scheme that administers to 1 to 2 million migrants, wouldn't take a lot to include other countries. Even if it was more than the 1700 Baht for my FiL I'd pay it.

I've had to attend the local government hospital a few times, and while i's busy and a little chaotic, they provide good care and treatment.

My biggest bill was 4,200 Baht and that included 2 nights in a ward and a CT scan of my brain. (They found one so it was all good)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Not bypassing anything. 60 day tourist visa. Maybe extend it at 1,900 baht, then outta there and back to a normal life. Repeat when I choose. 

The 300 baht discussion was related to how that will help or hinder tourism. Given all the other things Thailand is doing wrong, 300 baht is way down the list of things that will put tourists off from going. But then again, you don’t care about Thais or Thailand. You have your pension and health care from another country. So you are privileged enough to have to care. 

I care deeply about Thailand. I also feel that visitors must be able to take care of themselves and not burden the country. Those that bring in pathogens need to be prevented and those that get sick need to cover it themselves.

Right now covid has exploited in Pattaya's bar/restaurant scene, proving it was a mistake relaxing restrictions.  You want everything relaxed which makes no sense. 

I know you just want to play at the beach and go home, but who pays? You won't be around to pick up the pieces but hopefully I will.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Or a person could have a positive outlook on it

Now I know that's a crazy thought on this forum, to look at something in a positive manner

It actually may be against forum rules.....

But I'd gladly pay 50 baht while also having my own insurance

The 50 baht covers any small stuff that could occur and you don't have to worry about submitting that to your insurance

And I wouldn't expect to go to a Bumrungard for that small stuff

Anything serious I would go to a private hospital, pay for it and submit the claim to my private insurance

Again I know it's crazy to have any sort of positive outlook on something but thought I'd give it a try 

I don't care about paying 300 Baht, but if I get sick in Thailand I pay, keep the receipts and am paid the expenses back by the National Health System in my home country, so why pay 50 Baht?

3 hours ago, Alavan said:

I don't care about paying 300 Baht, but if I get sick in Thailand I pay, keep the receipts and am paid the expenses back by the National Health System in my home country, so why pay 50 Baht?

Same here 

I had a MB accident 

Submitted it all when I got back and Manulife paid

But I'd gladly pay to have local insurance as well for something minor like that where I don't even have to bother submitting when I get home 

Anything major, I'd go to a private hospital and pay and submit to my own insurance at home 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, Soidog said:

Some people who retired in Thailand 20 years ago could afford it. Then the government changed the rules. That was the point of my reply. Things can change. 300 baht could become 1,000. 800,000 baht for retirement could be one 2,000,000. That was my point. 

That would be OK by me. 

On 1/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, Soidog said:

That might be good , and maybe a little low. It needs to be high enough to discourage the begbackers but not the quality tourists Thailand wants. I’d also suggest a bar tax to pay for all the problems they cause. 

Edited by Faz
same multiple quotes removed.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:55 PM, LoongFred said:

That would be OK by me. 

That might be good , and maybe a little low. It needs to be high enough to discourage the begbackers but not the quality tourists Thailand wants. I’d also suggest a bar tax to pay for all the problems they cause. 

Where do you start with a response like that ? 

A1959D94-9124-4C48-8DDE-FC97D6A08EA7.gif

On 1/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Soidog said:

Where do you start with a response like that ? 

A1959D94-9124-4C48-8DDE-FC97D6A08EA7.gif

I was responding to you saying the entry fee could be raised to 1000 baht and the bank deposit for non o retirement to 2000000 baht. These don't bother me personally.

21 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I was responding to you saying the entry fee could be raised to 1000 baht and the bank deposit for non o retirement to 2000000 baht. These don't bother me personally.

No you weren’t. You were banging the same low intelligence drum you always bang. Trying to appear wealthy and better than other people with your vile and abuse rhetoric you always come out with. Get off the drink Fred and grow up. Try if you can to have an intelligent conversation with people. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No you weren’t. You were banging the same low intelligence drum you always bang. Trying to appear wealthy and better than other people with your vile and abuse rhetoric you always come out with. Get off the drink Fred and grow up. Try if you can to have an intelligent conversation with people. 

You aren't even being civil. My remarks must hit a sore point with you. I don't view myself as wealthy but some people might,  especially those who come from less fortunate places. I worked hard and now have the rewards. If costs are too high I don't complain and don't go.

BTW I'm not a drinker but an occasional beer with dinner is ok. I had a couple of beers at lovely Thai restaurant on the river a couple of weeks ago. Now they can't serve beer so ok. 

Your the one who proclaims to be all knowing, but only  ones to Thailand to  hang out with the equally vile falang tourists at at the beach. 

What's intelligent about conversions about beer joint and ****.

Basically your just too cheap to pay the entry fees.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Transam said:

< personal comments removed >

Just think back to you protecting Aussy Thai Yinn.....🤣....So funny....

I miss Yinn's honesty and candor.  She added a view of Thai culture that's missing here. Hope she's well and enjoying her motherhood.

• Haha 2

If this replaces the current covid/health insurance requirements then its a reasonable plan which will simplify travel for many tourists.  I believe there are a couple other nations that also charge a small fee to tourists on arrival, to which creates a government insurance fund which can be used if a foreigner experiences an medical issues while visiting.

If this does not replace the current covid/health insurance requirement then it feels a bit of a double dip fleecing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

You aren't even being civil. My remarks must hit a sore point with you. I don't view myself as wealthy but some people might,  especially those who come from less fortunate places. I worked hard and now have the rewards. If costs are too high I don't complain and don't go.

BTW I'm not a drinker but an occasional beer with dinner is ok. I had a couple of beers at lovely Thai restaurant on the river a couple of weeks ago. Now they can't serve beer so ok. 

Your the one who proclaims to be all knowing, but only  ones to Thailand to  hang out with the equally vile falang tourists at at the beach. 

What's intelligent about conversions about beer joint and ****.

Basically your just too cheap to pay the entry fees.

The vile Tourists and begpackers as you like to call them are the only one's that will recover your tourist industry. What do you think would happen if all tourists changed From Thailand to Vietnam or Cambo ? There already handing out food bags in Phuket because the vile Tourists are staying away.

As they seem to be indicating, and like many countries, the tax is included in the airfare. In reality, the bulk majority of people now don't look at the breakup of their air ticket. They just compare the total cost of the ticket.

It will likely follow what has happened in other countries. A lot of outspoken discussion about it and then wind down until it is not even discussed and just accepted. Many people won't even know that part is going to a potential insurance for them now. 

Passenger ticket tax, flight segment tax, frequent flyer tax, international departure tax, international arrival tax, jet fuel levy, passenger facility charge, landing fee levy, passenger movement fee, noise nuisance fees, VAT or GST, ticket excise tax, security surcharges, air passenger duty, tourist tax and airport infrastructure fee are all examples of taxes, levies and fees charged by different countries around the world and often included in your ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, vlad said:

The vile Tourists and begpackers as you like to call them are the only one's that will recover your tourist industry. What do you think would happen if all tourists changed From Thailand to Vietnam or Cambo ? There already handing out food bags in Phuket because the vile Tourists are staying away.

No mention in Phuket News.........they do mention 4000 per day visiting though........

29 minutes ago, vlad said:

Sounds like progress is coming to the beach community. ⛱ 

4 hours ago, Transam said:

You mean an Australian blokes view of Thai culture.....

You were "hook-line-&-sinkered"....🤣

Don’t tease too much. It’s not his fault 😂😂

• Haha 1