News Forum - Couple stranded in Singapore for 18 months rescued by New Zealand navy

Thaiger

A couple stranded in Singapore for 18 months due to their health and dwindling finances, which had made it difficult for them to survive in the most expensive country in Asia, were rescued by the New Zealand navy during a rare merciful mission last year. Owing to the Covid-19 pandemic, the pair were unable to fly to New Zealand, claiming their situation was “extremely bad,” according to an adviser to New Zealand’s high commission in Singapore, who intervened on their behalf and initiated the rescue trip over the fear of a worsening situation. On the report of disclosed documents under […]

The story Couple stranded in Singapore for 18 months rescued by New Zealand navy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

Sounds reasonable to me, I wonder if the NZ navy provide the crew with a daily tot?

I guess so . . . if they're rum characters 🤗!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

I guess so . . . if they're rum characters 🤗!

Being Ex RNZN I can sadly testify as being at sea for the Last Tot in 1990. I also served on Canterbury for 2 years bringing it into service in 2007. Great ship to serve on.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Fair play to the NZ navy . . . especially so for giving us the happiest thread of the day!

2 hours ago, Disenfranchised said:

Sounds reasonable to me, I wonder if the NZ navy provide the crew with a daily tot?

Agreed 100% - jeez, anyone who complains about this must be seriously small-minded 😠.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A couple stranded in Singapore for 18 months due to their health and dwindling finances, which had made it difficult for them to survive in the most expensive country in Asia, were rescued by the New Zealand navy during a rare merciful mission last year. Owing to the Covid-19 pandemic, the pair were unable to fly to New Zealand, claiming their situation was “extremely bad,” according to an adviser to New Zealand’s high commission in Singapore, who intervened on their behalf and initiated the rescue trip over the fear of a worsening situation. On the report of disclosed documents under […]

This Kiwi couple is so full of shit

Good News story - but it seems to have upset a few of our *****ers.  The Navy ship did not travel there to pick them up, it was there being re-fitted, and they got permission to travel back to NZ on it. 

IMO this sums it up nicely:  “If we establish a precedent whereby people who have no ability to fly find themselves at a place where there is a [navy] vessel that is heading for [New Zealand], with available space and medical staff on board, I can live with that.”  The foreign ministry of New Zealand has declined to speak further about the incident, only mentioning it as a “very specific and unusual set of circumstances.”

Good News Story - good luck to them. 

• Like 1

singapore should have initiated to send the foreigners who are really running out of finances. Infact every country in the world will be facing such situation and will face more in the coming days.