News Forum - Thailand’s updated Covid guidelines: What to do if you test positive or have symptoms

Thaiger

Following the surge in Covid-19 cases over the past two weeks, the government has announced an update on guidelines on the treatment and management of Covid-19 patients. Cases involving the highly contagious Omicron variant is on the rise, but Thai health officials say that luckily most patients have mild to no symptoms and do not need to undergo treatment at a hospital. To ease the burden on the public health care system, officials are advising those with mild to no symptoms to isolate themselves at home or at a community isolation centre. To undergo home isolation, those who test positive […]

The story Thailand’s updated Covid guidelines: What to do if you test positive or have symptoms as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Home isolation for asymptomatic people...unless you're a tourist of course. Not allowed to just isolate in your room/villa which is no better or worse (some might argue better though) than the average Thai's home in terms of potential risk of spreading the virus to other people 🙄

Edited by Jayce
  • Like 1

Stay at home for a few days do a home LFT after 4-5 days. If you picked up Omicron like Jayce said. Just keep your head down and don't worry its only mild unless your in bad health.

• Like 2

Absolutely not true, bunch of lies, those Thai Health Officials are there to trick you and it's not a home isolation for asymptomatic, they will call an ambulance whether you like or not and send you to the hospital to do that check up on you. For example, check your weight, blood pressure, respiratory, urinalysis etc..Should be cover if you have asymptomatic insurance if not prepare to pay at least B100K. If ok, the doctor will make the decision to go to ASQ Hotel for the last 10 days.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Absolutely not true, bunch of lies, those Thai Health Officials are there to trick you and it's not a home isolation for asymptomatic, they will call an ambulance whether you like or not and send you to the hospital to do that check up on you. For example, check your weight, blood pressure, respiratory, urinalysis etc..Should be cover if you have asymptomatic insurance if not prepare to pay at least B100K. If ok, the doctor will make the decision to go to ASQ Hotel for the last 10 days.

Correct. That applies to Thais - not necessarily to Tourists - and it is a guideline.

Thai Hotels where tourists wait for test results, all have an agreement with a local hospital (who does the tests). Part of that agreement is that they report any positive tests to the hospital who organises for the tourist to be examined and taken away if required - and of course the Thai private hospitals are all about health and not money 😄.  In Phuket the Governor is pushing for tourists to be 'allowed' to stay in their hotel rooms if asymptomatic. But again, it is all 'guidelines' and each hotel/hospital will do things differently until the laws are changed - and even then they will not all operate the 'approved' way (TiT).

Going to Thailand now despite all the warnings?  IMO go to the sandbox in Phuket and book an SHA+ Hotel.  Then you have less chance of being positive, and more chance of being allowed to stay isolated in your room if you do.

Expats living in Thailand - IMO self isolate if you test positive (RAT) and dont go to a hospital to get tested unless you feel ill and have Covid symptoms - especially not a private hospital (unless fully covered by insurance).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jayce said:

Home isolation for asymptomatic people...unless you're a tourist of course. Not allowed to just isolate in your room/villa which is no better or worse (some might argue better though) than the average Thai's home in terms of potential risk of spreading the virus to other people 🙄

I know of one person personally that has isolated in his hotel

He said the hotel has taken care of everything with the government 

He says they been great

Most videos I have seen online, the tourists have been allowed to stay in their hotel room 

• Like 3
  • Cool 2

I was tested last Sunday with ATK kit and was found to be positive, l actually had 2 ATK test so both positive so next day l go to Hospital to have PCR test and waited about 30 hour for the result which was positive so l go home to self isolate as my symptoms none existent. I have not been given a list of rules or have l seen a Doctor, there is not enough info on the website. I don’t know if it’s 10 days or 14 days to isolate 1330 or 1422 don’t give info or call u so u are left in limbo.                                                                                             
 I feel perfectly 100% healthy yet l am stuck in my condo for 14 days when isolation in UK and USA are just 5 days with no symptoms

This is a very confusing moment of the situation indeed. 

Wife and I are here to complete an adoption that we started in 2019.  We were finally invited  early December to come pick up the kid after 2+ years of delays, arrived 3 Jan Test and Go.  Cleared both PCRS on the 10th. Self tested fine through the 12th. We do all of the things recommended for health measures (mask, sanitize, avoid crowds, self tested regularly...) and all was good to go. BUT BOOM...the 13th morning we went to sign the custody agreement I tested positive on the rapid test just moments before  the signing and had to leave the kid at the orphanage (understandable, I do not want to get anyone else sick).  

Next day PCR confirmed it for both of us. Mild Symptoms /Asymptomatic Covid.  Both of us are low risk, triple vaca'd, and have the sniffles with an occasional post nasal single cough about 1-2 times an hour max. The cough is really more forced than it is spontaneous. No fevers. Nothing. 

Hospital who took the test is trying to force us to admit there and pay 300,000 baht cash deposit, plus medicines, Dr. fees, etc. You may be asymptomatic now, but wait until you're laying unnecessarily in a hospital for 10 days. And "Pay first, file insurance later" Wait? What? Can we save the hospital space for people who really need it?

INSURANCE? AXA and Thai AXA both said "Oh, no we don't pay if you're asymptomatic", "we might pay", "we pay only 2000 Bht/day" In all cases "you pay first and we will tell you the truth later" ;) Why? (That's rhetorical. I read the Thaiger and watch its YouTube daily).

However, the Apartment/Hotel GM called before the hospital and said "You have options" and he would work with his Covid management team to allow us to do 14 day "home isolation" in the current apartment/room we rented for the adoption (at a cost, but fair). OK great. Can you guarantee that we get a certificate of recovery afterward? Waiting on an answer.  He knows we are adopting and have too much on the line to risk breaking quarantine. That's just not going to happen. 

Also registered with 1330 as a back up (as they do say it's required here). They took the information, reviewed the case and said "yeah we have your information to home isolate at your apartment/room" "OK, Great, What next?". "We will call you in an hour to tell you the hospital you are assigned to for oversight". No call yet. Call backs only get "we will call you later." Still waiting. I think they are overwhelmed with calls right now. And also probably low on English speaking officers. 

Meanwhile the original hospital is practically threatening  us every few hours with "agree to get admitted here now or tell us what other hospital you are assigned to." 

I'm sure everywhere is overwhelmed with calls (and trust me, this mutation is easy to get, please be prepared), patients, tests, etc at the moment. This thing is going to blow through like a wildfire, it's not if, but when.

I don't think there is any intentional wrong doing, but a clear and reasonable pathway would be beneficial. Especially if Thailand want to rebuild its tourism industry. Sadly, people will be afraid to self-report because they might be charged hundreds of thousands more than necessary. The responsible pathway is not clear and does not always seem fair. 

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Going.GLobal said:

Wife and I are here to complete an adoption that we started in 2019.  We were finally invited  early December to come pick up the kid after 2+ years of delays, arrived 3 Jan Test and Go.  Cleared both PCRS on the 10th. Self tested fine through the 12th. We do all of the things recommended for health measures (mask, sanitize, avoid crowds, self tested regularly...) and all was good to go. BUT BOOM...the 13th morning we went to sign the custody agreement I tested positive on the rapid test just moments before  the signing and had to leave the kid at the orphanage (understandable, I do not want to get anyone else sick).  

Next day PCR confirmed it for both of us. Mild Symptoms /Asymptomatic Covid.  Both of us are low risk, triple vaca'd, and have the sniffles with an occasional post nasal single cough about 1-2 times an hour max. The cough is really more forced than it is spontaneous. No fevers. Nothing. 

Hospital who took the test is trying to force us to admit there and pay 300,000 baht cash deposit, plus medicines, Dr. fees, etc. You may be asymptomatic now, but wait until you're laying unnecessarily in a hospital for 10 days. And "Pay first, file insurance later" Wait? What? Can we save the hospital space for people who really need it?

INSURANCE? AXA and Thai AXA both said "Oh, no we don't pay if you're asymptomatic", "we might pay", "we pay only 2000 Bht/day" In all cases "you pay first and we will tell you the truth later" ;) Why? (That's rhetorical. I read the Thaiger and watch its YouTube daily).

However, the Apartment/Hotel GM called before the hospital and said "You have options" and he would work with his Covid management team to allow us to do 14 day "home isolation" in the current apartment/room we rented for the adoption (at a cost, but fair). OK great. Can you guarantee that we get a certificate of recovery afterward? Waiting on an answer.  He knows we are adopting and have too much on the line to risk breaking quarantine. That's just not going to happen. 

Also registered with 1330 as a back up (as they do say it's required here). They took the information, reviewed the case and said "yeah we have your information to home isolate at your apartment/room" "OK, Great, What next?". "We will call you in an hour to tell you the hospital you are assigned to for oversight". No call yet. Call backs only get "we will call you later." Still waiting. I think they are overwhelmed with calls right now. And also probably low on English speaking officers. 

Meanwhile the original hospital is practically threatening  us every few hours with "agree to get admitted here now or tell us what other hospital you are assigned to." 

I'm sure everywhere is overwhelmed with calls (and trust me, this mutation is easy to get, please be prepared), patients, tests, etc at the moment. This thing is going to blow through like a wildfire, it's not if, but when.

I don't think there is any intentional wrong doing, but a clear and reasonable pathway would be beneficial. Especially if Thailand want to rebuild its tourism industry. Sadly, people will be afraid to self-report because they might be charged hundreds of thousands more than necessary. The responsible pathway is not clear and does not always seem fair. 

What a terrible time, re your adoption mission, the Thai health authorities are giving you. I can only wish you all the best towards a successful outcome. And your debut post too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

Best wishes,

KC

• Like 3

2 hours ago, King Cotton said:

What a terrible time, re your adoption mission, the Thai health authorities are giving you. I can only wish you all the best towards a successful outcome. And your debut post too, so thanks for that and welcome to Thaiger Talk!

Best wishes,

KC

Thank you for the reply and even more so for the empathy. Trust me I would not want to be traveling anywhere in the world for the next few months if I didn't have to. 

Update: NHSO has assigned us a hospital for our Home Quarantine. Now onto the next hurdles, Guaranteeing I am not force admitted again and We can get a certificate of recovery upon completion (I will need this to prove I have recovered so I can adopt and travel home).  I am 99% sure the delay is that they are being overwhelmed with registration requests (like it was in July). I hope that they can be fair and process more foreigners for this as well. 

Moving forward with a little less stress and some more optimism. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Going.GLobal said:

This is exactly how you handle the situation

Seems you went prepared with all the info needed and were firm and got the result you needed and what was warranted 

No whining and moaning, although I'm sure you were stressed out for sure 

Good luck with the adoption and it seems this child will have two great parents 

Please keep us updated on the rest of your isolation and more importantly, how the adoption goes 

All this will be a distant memory when you have your amazing child home and starting your new life.

Congrats 

• Like 3

On 1/13/2022 at 11:01 AM, Marc26 said:

He says they been great

Most videos I have seen online, the tourists have been allowed to stay in their hotel room 

Yes, since posting this apparently Phuket officials have come out to say that asymptomatic positive people can be allowed to isolate in their own hotel/villa thereby not losing their $$$

It still sounds like it's a discretionary thing though so anything but guaranteed that that's what will happen, but happy to finally see some more common sense being applied.

Wonder if the other sandboxes will come out and say the same.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2022 at 6:46 AM, AussieBob said:

Correct. That applies to Thais - not necessarily to Tourists - and it is a guideline.

Thai Hotels where tourists wait for test results, all have an agreement with a local hospital (who does the tests). Part of that agreement is that they report any positive tests to the hospital who organises for the tourist to be examined and taken away if required - and of course the Thai private hospitals are all about health and not money 😄.  In Phuket the Governor is pushing for tourists to be 'allowed' to stay in their hotel rooms if asymptomatic. But again, it is all 'guidelines' and each hotel/hospital will do things differently until the laws are changed - and even then they will not all operate the 'approved' way (TiT).

Going to Thailand now despite all the warnings?  IMO go to the sandbox in Phuket and book an SHA+ Hotel.  Then you have less chance of being positive, and more chance of being allowed to stay isolated in your room if you do.

Expats living in Thailand - IMO self isolate if you test positive (RAT) and dont go to a hospital to get tested unless you feel ill and have Covid symptoms - especially not a private hospital (unless fully covered by insurance).

Good analyze

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Going.GLobal said:

This is about insurances and how the hospitals are handling it. If we warned about many poster claims all is covert by the insurance and some even claimed the isolation is for free. Also Aussie Bob warned many about this problems. People with Family here or in your case for adoption have no choice to go through this and it is really terrible how they handle this. I wish you all the best and all the luck you need.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Going.GLobal said:

Best wishes going forward mate. Great to see you were able to avoid the 'traps' that so many others have caved into and incurred expenses that may and may not be paid back.  Sounds like you are staying in a reasonable and well managed hotel - one that would go 'into bat' for you and got the result needed. I am sure they will also make sure you get the required recovered certificate one way or the other. Please keep us all updated and let us all know which hotel it is - positive endorsements are OK in Thailand (but never publicly criticise anyone or anything). 

On 1/13/2022 at 8:01 AM, Marc26 said:

He says they been great

You advertising to gamble?! Sure it is Thailand and some hotels have connectiin but to advertise gambling and playing russian roulette is really a bad thing and can bring many in huge trouble especially in Thailand!

15 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You advertising to gamble?! Sure it is Thailand and some hotels have connectiin but to advertise gambling and playing russian roulette is really a bad thing and can bring many in huge trouble especially in Thailand!

Ya gonna turn 'em in, Dusty? 

18 minutes ago, Rain said:

Ya gonna turn 'em in, Dusty? 

I guess many tourists don't know the differences between connections and rules or not understand why there is sometimes law enforcement and sometimes not. Also that some use it as business oportunity.

48 minutes ago, Stardust said:

The vast majority of positive incidents out there, on YouTube, on blogs, on forums

People have been allowed to isolate in their hotel 

I mean one lady on here called herself a "prisoner" on this forum

And of course, she had had covid weeks before and her situation was rectified in 2 days 

53 minutes ago, Stardust said:

There wasn't any connections being applied

Unlike many cheap people on here

He purportedly booked a nice hotel in case he tested positive

The hotel didn't use their "connections "

They helped a guest report to the hotel and arrange tests/doctors 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Best wishes going forward mate. Great to see you were able to avoid the 'traps' that so many others have caved into and incurred expenses that may and may not be paid back.  Sounds like you are staying in a reasonable and well managed hotel - one that would go 'into bat' for you and got the result needed. I am sure they will also make sure you get the required recovered certificate one way or the other. Please keep us all updated and let us all know which hotel it is - positive endorsements are OK in Thailand (but never publicly criticise anyone or anything). 

Post some of those "traps" that you have seen 

13 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The vast majority of positive incidents out there, on YouTube, on blogs, on forums

People have been allowed to isolate in their hotel 

I mean one lady on here called herself a "prisoner" on this forum

And of course, she had had covid weeks before and her situation was rectified in 2 days 

Are you aware we talking about Thailand and not about youtube videos! You must be some of the ones who read something or watch a youtube video and think to know Thailand. Laws,  enforcement or courts are not the same as in their homecountry, especially if they are foreigners. If some see business opportunities ok good luck to get your money back or to go to a court!