News Forum - Wednesday Covid Update: 7,681 new cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

19 coronavirus-related deaths were reported by the CCSA today, raising the pandemic’s death toll in Thailand to 21,869 with 171 of those fatalities since the start of this year. In the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA recorded 7,681 new Covid-19 cases and 3,350 recoveries. There are now 66,286 people in Thailand being treated for Covid-19. Out of the new cases recorded today, 12 were found in correctional facilities. More than 80,000 inmates at Thailand’s overcrowded prisons and detention centres have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past several months. Since the start of the pandemic last year, […]

The story Wednesday Covid Update: 7,681 new cases; provincial totals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

I give it two weeks and the numbers will be in the tens of thousands...this time next month....in their hundreds of thousands....

Fortunately it's nearing 90% Omicron so the high number of 'cases' is not as worrying as even a month ago,

46 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Fortunately it's nearing 90% Omicron so the high number of 'cases' is not as worrying as even a month ago,

Unfortunately you are not seeing the big picture, only PCR results are counted so you will never see the actual number of positive cases, ATK results are not taken into account therefore what you see are false numbers which is exactly what the government wants everyone to see.

TIT.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Graham said:

Unfortunately you are not seeing the big picture, only PCR results are counted so you will never see the actual number of positive cases, ATK results are not taken into account therefore what you see are false numbers which is exactly what the government wants everyone to see.

TIT.

I agree, no question about 'actual numbers', but does it matter?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I give it two weeks and the numbers will be in the tens of thousands...this time next month....in their hundreds of thousands....

So what, there is no escaping it. Let it rip and stop the ridiculous overreaction and fear mongering nonsense. 

Open everything, now. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Just did some back-of-the-envelope calculations, but unless you expect 40,000+ cases/day 2 weeks from now, the 4-week prediction is ridiculous. Anything less and the rate of exponential growth would have to increase in time, yet it can only go down for obvious reasons (local infectious population size, human behavior, imposed restrictions, ...). Your 2-week prediction seems plausible to me (at least, on the lower end).

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

TIT.

ATK positives go up (or down) = PCR positives go up (or down). Mix in the results of serology or sewer excrement surveys, and you've even got an estimate for the difference factor. Are the PCR numbers accurate: no. Are the PCR numbers useful: yes

• Like 1

Thaiger is the only one who gives any accurate information like ICU and intubation numbers. Where does that data come from and is it only weekly? (I think I last saw it Sunday).  It had continued to go down just like deaths. 

If serious cases are lower and stable or falling compared to the open of Test & Go what is the basis / objective for the new restrictions? 
seems like of this pattern continues, end of January might see reopening start again (though it will have now missed the Europe North America East Asia high season. 

31 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Thaiger is the only one who gives any accurate information like ICU and intubation numbers. Where does that data come from and is it only weekly? (I think I last saw it Sunday).  It had continued to go down just like deaths. 

If serious cases are lower and stable or falling compared to the open of Test & Go what is the basis / objective for the new restrictions? 
seems like of this pattern continues, end of January might see reopening start again (though it will have now missed the Europe North America East Asia high season. 

The Thaiger gets its numbers from other news outlets. The information is out there if you look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Millions and zillions - and only a dozen that are hospitalized with severities.

3 hours ago, mcambl61 said:

So what, there is no escaping it. Let it rip and stop the ridiculous overreaction and fear mongering nonsense. 

Open everything, now. 

Exactly. 

Nothing wrong in living with a mild virus, is there.

15 hours ago, Poolie said:

The Thaiger gets its numbers from other news outlets. The information is out there if you look.

I have only seen the ICU and intubation numbers get reported by Thaiger (I think it’s on Sundays) and it’s shown as a graph. 
It’s the medias job to present useful information succinctly and in context.

A  Bangkok post headline “Deaths Up To 18”  while succinct provides little useful information and no context. 

21 hours ago, Rain said:

Millions and zillions - and only a dozen that are hospitalized with severities.

Hospitalisations are the least of your worries..... if you can't see the results of Omicron infections and the result from countries who are going through the worst of this right now, then I guess you're blind to what is happening and what is coming. So bury your head in the sand....and come back later when it's all over!! Just stay in your room and order delivery..... ( I say that because, soon delivery won't be possible).

If by some chance you think I'm exaggerating. Take a look at the news in Australia. It's what Thailand will be experiencing within the next month. A tsunami is coming. Maybe when the giant waves are washing everything away, you might pay some attention.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

If by some chance you think I'm exaggerating. Take a look at the news in Australia. It's what Thailand will be experiencing within the next month. A tsunami is coming. Maybe when the giant waves are washing everything away, you might pay some attention.

Don't be so sure by your speculative predictions. 

Just because it's been ravaged in some places, doesn't guarantee the same for others.