News Forum - Applicants for Thai citizenship must pass new Thai language test

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Whatever.

So typical of this forum

Some moans about something that he clearly doesn't have any clue whatsoever about 

Because he just wants to bash Thailand 

Gets proven wrong

And has a 15yr old boy response....

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Disagree, but so be it when on paper. I never ever look at anyone with a second citizenship as the real deal, but only lucky to be natualized and able to carry a second passport. Now if born in that country or to a parent of another country then that is a 100% yes.

I'm sorry, but that is patent nonsense. When you take on any citizenship, you take on that Nation's obligations; to follow its laws , such as they are here, their justice system, such as that is, its constitution, its cultural framework  and, in the face of conflict, to support it through such times, to the exclusion of all. It's a serious matter and to trivialise it to just holding a passport to avoid immigration issues, is as misguided as it is unacceptable. No wonder the Thais restrict the numbers that they are prepared to accept. 

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I'm sorry, but that is patent nonsense. When you take on any citizenship, you take on that Nation's obligations; to follow its laws , such as they are here, their justice system, such as that is, its constitution, its cultural framework  and, in the face of conflict, to support it through such times, to the exclusion of all. It's a serious matter and to trivialise it to just holding a passport to avoid immigration issues, is as misguided as it is unacceptable. No wonder the Thais restrict the numbers that they are prepared to accept. 

Ummm, Sorry but everyone already abides by the rules whether expat or citizen. If anything you gain more from being a citizen and it doesn’t increase anything extra to the one who gets it. Nada. Cultural framework? I already speak the language and act appropriately when with Thai of all levels. I would hope you do too. 

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I think what HC was saying is that a lot of people do just look at it as a passport for clerical purposes

And I don't think he is wrong in that regard

I would say most of the Thais I know here in Canada with Canadian passports do not identify as Canadian

It's just a passport to them

Unless you immigrate to a country when you are young and your kids are born there and you raise them there, many don't really think of themselves as 100% citizens of that country

That's just reality 

But on the flip side. If people want to "Canadian " or be "American " or "Australian" I do believe us citizens of those countries should treat them as such

On 1/13/2022 at 11:56 AM, Marc26 said:

So typical of this forum

Some moans about something that he clearly doesn't have any clue whatsoever about 

Because he just wants to bash Thailand 

Gets proven wrong

And has a 15yr old boy response....

Thank you, catch of the day.