News Forum - Applicants for Thai citizenship must pass new Thai language test

Thaiger

The Thai government has introduced new regulations that require those who apply for Thai citizenship to pass a new Thai language test. According to a Bangkok Post report, government representative Rachada Dhnadirek says the fees for citizenship have also doubled. Up until now, Thai citizenship was based on regulations in place since 1967, which required applicants to speak and understand Thai. The new rules mean they must sit a Thai language test or have certificates from the Education Ministry that show they completed at least primary education in Thailand. According to the Bangkok Post, applicants who live in Bangkok can […]

The story Applicants for Thai citizenship must pass new Thai language test as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

5 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

They dont want you, they just want your money.

Well just need TAT to use The Flying Lizards song in their next Tourism campaign ….

The best things in life are free
But you can give them to the birds and bees
I want money

(That's what I want)
That's what I want

You love gives me such a thrill
But your love won't pay my bills
I want money

(That's what I want)
That's what I want

Money don't get everything it's true
But what it don't get I can't use
I want money

(That's what I want)
That's what I want

I want money
I want lots of money
In fact I want so much money
Give me your money
Just give me money

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Well just need TAT to use The Flying Lizards song in their next Tourism campaign ….

i had the vinyl when it first came out. 

• Cool 1

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Thai government has introduced new regulations that require those who apply for Thai citizenship to pass a new Thai language test. According to a Bangkok Post report, government representative Rachada Dhnadirek says the fees for citizenship have also doubled. Up until now, Thai citizenship was based on regulations in place since 1967, which required applicants to speak and understand Thai. The new rules mean they must sit a Thai language test or have certificates from the Education Ministry that show they completed at least primary education in Thailand. According to the Bangkok Post, applicants who live in Bangkok can […]

The story Applicants for Thai citizenship must pass new Thai language test as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just like Australia, if you want residency, you have to pass an english test

• Like 3

Just now, NCC1701A said:

i had the vinyl when it first came out. 

Good thing I didn’t say the original release, back in 1959 by Berry Gordy.

• Cool 1

Citizenship is a different ball game. Many countries require the applicant to speak the language to demonstrate integration into society, and quite rightly so.

If someone doesn't want to learn Thai, they should reconsider becoming Thai. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Just another way to concrete their attitude towards foriengners wanting to live here. They dont want you, they just want your money.

You do know many countries require language proficiency as part of permanent residence and citizenship, right?

Canada, where I live, made me take an English test for PR

English is my 1st language 

But I guess those facts don't fit your moaning agenda 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You do know many countries require language proficiency as part of permanent residence and citizenship, right?

100% right, your money is very well required, not you!, this felt, learnt too.

infact the country has to change, bringing other country men with no precondition bring an future generation of best community.

Most countries have language requirements for citizenship, no big deal. Perhaps the area of inequality most affecting foreigners is foreign men married to Thai wives. Why aren't Thai women with foreign husbands demanding to be treated the same as Thai men who have foreign wives????? The rules for foreign women married to Thai men are far more lenient than for foreign men married to Thai women.

Why everyone is complaining and blubbering around here? I really don't get it. In my opinion everyone should pass a language and a small history exam before get a citizenship for any country not only Thailand.

Further more I get more and more the impression, that this board is actually an Anti-Thai-Bord. In any topic only complaint and insulting. Thailand was never colonized and the proud Thais don't need any 'wealthy' farang who knows better or a 'from above' treatment. To all of those who don't like Thailand and/or Thai people. JUST STAY CALM and leave.

I'm out

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SirPixAlot said:

Why everyone is complaining and blubbering around here? I really don't get it. In my opinion everyone should pass a language and a small history exam before get a citizenship for any country not only Thailand.

I would love to see every citizen take the test, and see the percentage that fails .. test the politicians first, if they fail they get the boot!

3 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Just like Australia, if you want residency, you have to pass an english test

And many schools teach to the required standard so all will pass! 😂😂😂

The article makes it sound like a no problem. I would gladly take any test right now if the application process was easier. I would even take them out for drinks all night and we could keep the conversation entirely in their language with a small brown envelope pocket padder. But reality is it is not that easy but it should be for married folk with kids.

57 minutes ago, kalyan said:

100% right, your money is very well required, not you!, this felt, learnt too.

infact the country has to change, bringing other country men with no precondition bring an future generation of best community.

I don't think you understand what I wrote

Many countries require you to know the language to immigrate 

Canada actually applies points to your application depending on your English test score

So, no, Thailand isn't doing anything shady or different than many countries 

And as others have said, people should know the language 

By the way, how many guys would complain about Thailand requiring to know Thai, would be the same people complaining about immigrants to their own country?

I bet a lot 

If it was written in English characters....I could bluff my way through it...if it's in Thai characters ( it's such a beautiful writing style).... I'd be screwed!🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I would love to see every citizen take the test, and see the percentage that fails .. test the politicians first, if they fail they get the boot!

Might be highly dependent on the surface historic perspective that they are promoting.

36 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Must show love for the country and know its culture and language before taking up citizenship. 👍 

Makes good sense.

I've known of a few, throughout the years, that have gone the full monty - the process is quite extensive and depending on the situation, it can all be finalized within a year to 18 months. 

23 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Whatever.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:46 AM, Artemis080 said:

Citizenship is a different ball game. Many countries require the applicant to speak the language to demonstrate integration into society, and quite rightly so.

If someone doesn't want to learn Thai, they should reconsider becoming Thai. 

I would never wish to be considered Thai. I like this country but I am totally disconnected from its more obvious idiocies, inconsistences, culture, language, attitudes, politics, history.  I like it that way. 

Just now, Pinetree said:

I would never wish to be considered Thai. I like this country but I am totally disconnected from its more obvious idiocies, inconsistences, culture, language, attitudes, politics, history.  I like it that way. 

For me I would happily welcome having dual citizenship and a second passport and freedom of not having the BS we jump through as foreingers here. My kids are Thai and have US citizenship and are dual and this would fit in well for me and them. Alos makes traqvelling to some countries in SE Asia easier.

Just because you have the citizenship and passport doesn't make you one of them. My kids disagree with a lot for what their country here is all about and whom and what is happening.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yes it does. 

Disagree, but so be it when on paper. I never ever look at anyone with a second citizenship as the real deal, but only lucky to be natualized and able to carry a second passport. Now if born in that country or to a parent of another country then that is a 100% yes.