News Forum - Vindicated in visa court case, Djokovic seeks historic victory in a different court

Thaiger

World Number 1 player Novak Djokovic tweeted a picture of himself standing with his team on a tennis court in Melbourne, Victoria late Monday evening, writing he was “pleased and grateful” that a judge overturned his visa cancellation. Game. Set. Match! Judge Anthony Kelly of the Federal Circuit Court of Australia had earlier ordered Djokovic’s release from an immigration detention centre in Melbourne, effectively allowing the tennis player to defend his title at the Australian Open, which he has won a record 9 times. The Australian Border Force had detained the tennis star after his flight from Dubai arrived in […]

The story Vindicated in visa court case, Djokovic seeks historic victory in a different court as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why the hell did they organise such an international event in Australia when it is well known that the country has one of the toughest entry rules.

• Like 3

Oops….. Djokovic lodged an “inaccurate”  travel declaration form stating he had not travelled in the 14 days before his flight to Melbourne. Is he lying about having tested positive for Covid on Dec 19? And did he declare this when traveling in and out of Spain? I hope the Immigration minister deports the world’s #1 tennis player but, imo, it’s looking increasingly unlikely as he would have done it yesterday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/novak-djokovic-in-australian-open-visa-limbo/100750800

I feel sorry not just for Novak but for the numerous athletes and other professionals that have been banned  fined and alienated  for not injecting a vaccine that is only very partially effective at stopping the spread of the virus but whose long term affects in particular heart disease are only now being slowly revealed.

Though unfair to give Novak a pass when so many others have been treated as outcasts for not vaccinating why have the authorities turned a blind eye to trusted cures and promoting strong personal immune response and clean health?

Poor form on all fronts. Of the big four I like Novak the least and Still consider both Federer and Nadal as the greatest ever but if people refuse the vaccine they should not be victimized. I still promote the vaccine but the laws are often overdone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Oops….. Djokovic lodged an “inaccurate”  travel declaration form stating he had not travelled in the 14 days before his flight to Melbourne. Is he lying about having tested positive for Covid on Dec 19? And did he declare this when traveling in and out of Spain? I hope the Immigration minister deports the world’s #1 tennis player but, imo, it’s looking increasingly unlikely as he would have done it yesterday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/novak-djokovic-in-australian-open-visa-limbo/100750800

Australia needs to get over itself.

Who even cares? 100k+ cases a day, a health care system crumbling, lack of tests, supply chain shortages. But, let's worry about an unvaccinated tennis player and deporting him so the country can look even more like an authoritarian state.

I love Australia and used to call it home, but frankly more good PR comes from the country hosting the world number one than being sore losers or nitpicking by a torch-bearing mob whipped into a frenzy by the media.

The entry rules have never been applied fairly. Cricketers, movie stars, politicians families and au pairs. Even citizens took a back seat. From the outside lens, Australia is not regarded as kindly as many within it would continue to believe. Nothing good would come from deporting the worlds greatest tennis player (who I personally hate..but that's another thing 😀).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

Who even cares? 

The people that have enabled an admirably low mortality rate. The people that have enabled a 90%+ vaccination rate. The people enjoying the above. The people that recognize that allowing Djokovic to stay while deporting other tennis players is a double standard. The people whose loved ones were and are stranded overseas. The people that that have lost loved ones to Covid. Lots of people. Australians are people and people aren’t perfect. One thing we are not is quitters so if you expect Australians to admit defeat, throw their hands in the air and say it’s all too hard then you’ll be waiting a long time. A very long time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Somchai said:

Why the hell did they organise such an international event in Australia when it is well known that the country has one of the toughest entry rules.

Precisely, there have been a number of world entertainment things (racing cars !) cancelled here for that and other related issues. I don’t know of course but my little brain says its to do with either $ or ego that tennis thought it could manage ? 

I’m up to page 1034 of the telephone book, much more interesting than watching folks hit a ball back and forth.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

He lied...

About his travels two weeks prior to entering Australia when he travelled from Serbia to Spain? or his Dec 16 positive Covid test? Maybe he thinks he cannot transmit Covid because he had a photo shoot and interview with a journalist after being “informed” that he was Covid positive. Even his spin doctors can’t seem to spin that one… I doubt that his Covid test was even done. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-12/retracing-djokovic-from-positive-covid-test-to-touchdown/100752350

Edited by Fanta
Removed quote as already in link