News Forum - Thailand adds three Sandbox destinations to take some pressure off Phuket

Thaiger

Aside from Phuket, vaccinated travellers can now travel to three prominent beach resorts in Thailand – Krabi, Phang Nga, and Koh Samui – under the Sandbox tourism programme, which allows foreign tourists to enter the kingdom without undergoing a strict and lengthy quarantine. With the Test & Go quarantine exemption scheme suspended indefinitely, allowing the three destinations to welcome foreign visitors under the Sandbox scheme is intended to take the pressure off of Phuket, which has remained open under the Sandbox programme. In the last two months, the Test & Go scheme drew in 350,000 visitors. While tourism numbers are […]

The story Thailand adds three Sandbox destinations to take some pressure off Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I am due to fly to Thailand next week  I have just recovered from Covid and hear that the PCR tests can come back with a Positive result still. I have a "recovery " letter from the English NHS l, can I fly with this.  Sean "scared of england"

Hi Sean

I was concerned about the exact same thing although I contracted Covid on the 1st Dec and like you, flying next week. I've had a pcr test a week ago and am all clear. However, it all seems very ambiguous. Seemingly, a certificate of recovery from a recent bout *SHOULD* excuse you from the pre departure pcr (although the buck has been passed to 'the airline may have different rules') but seemingly, everyone must take an arrival pcr test, no matter what. And certificate of recovery may not excuse you from the fall out from a positive test. I've asked Thai Pass people and the Thai Foreign Affairs dept without getting a reply from either.

The only bit of advice I can give - get yourself a pcr test to be sure. IF you're in the UK, I'd advise a paid service as my NHS only test arrived today (Tues) having been done Thurs am.

Please note, from analysis done I think in Italy some time ago, it CAN take up to 90 days to clear the system (so could register on a pcr) but average was 29 days. The conclusions hinted at 'milder infection, quicker all-clear'.

• Thanks 1

The Koh Samui Sandbox has opened up, does that mean we can still just do a day in Koh Samui then transfer to Koh Tao? or is it now Koh Samui for 7 days? 

27 minutes ago, SeanP said:

I am due to fly to Thailand next week  I have just recovered from Covid and hear that the PCR tests can come back with a Positive result still. I have a "recovery " letter from the English NHS l, can I fly with this.  Sean "scared of england"

Who cares if you have a recovery letter, you may have just gotten infected again.  We can never be too safe when it comes to covid.  I hope they lock you in a Thai medical ward for 2 weeks you filthy vector.  And don't expect your insurance to pay for everything either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bawheid said:

Hi Sean

I was concerned about the exact same thing although I contracted Covid on the 1st Dec and like you, flying next week. I've had a pcr test a week ago and am all clear. However, it all seems very ambiguous. Seemingly, a certificate of recovery from a recent bout *SHOULD* excuse you from the pre departure pcr (although the buck has been passed to 'the airline may have different rules') but seemingly, everyone must take an arrival pcr test, no matter what. And certificate of recovery may not excuse you from the fall out from a positive test. I've asked Thai Pass people and the Thai Foreign Affairs dept without getting a reply from either.

The only bit of advice I can give - get yourself a pcr test to be sure. IF you're in the UK, I'd advise a paid service as my NHS only test arrived today (Tues) having been done Thurs am.

Please note, from analysis done I think in Italy some time ago, it CAN take up to 90 days to clear the system (so could register on a pcr) but average was 29 days. The conclusions hinted at 'milder infection, quicker all-clear'.

Thai tests are cheap (think chinese quality).  Expect your test to be positive.  And when it does come back positive, do enjoy your time in a Thai medical ward with 15 other covid vectors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmc said:

Thai tests are cheap (think chinese quality).  Expect your test to be positive.  And when it does come back positive, do enjoy your time in a Thai medical ward with 15 other covid vectors.

I'd rather have Chinese quality than an American result. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, kmc said:

Who cares if you have a recovery letter, you may have just gotten infected again.  We can never be too safe when it comes to covid.  I hope they lock you in a Thai medical ward for 2 weeks you filthy vector.  And don't expect your insurance to pay for everything either.

Whats the likely hood of getting it after just recovering from it ,who knows. But I wouldn’t trust the Thai govt with a false negative. Me thinks people will become a  victim to the covid revenue scheme . I already decided my international travel will be curtailed until they lift the Covid Ins rape scheme!

“You probably have some immunity to the virus but it’s not clear how long it lasts,” the NHS said

https://www.nationalworld.com/health/can-you-get-covid-twice-in-one-month-how-soon-can-you-get-coronavirus-again-and-how-long-does-immunity-last-3487727

2 hours ago, traveller1 said:

The Koh Samui Sandbox has opened up, does that mean we can still just do a day in Koh Samui then transfer to Koh Tao? or is it now Koh Samui for 7 days? 

Sandbox should mean 7 days in the first hotel, methinks! That was it, before test&go

False positives from PCR tests will kill tourism for as long as it’s required upon landing. I will not travel to any destinations that require a PCR test at arrival. Asian tourism is dead for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

allowing the three destinations to welcome foreign visitors under the Sandbox scheme is intended to take the pressure off of Phuket

😂😂😂 surely they could of used a better excuse (or maybe lie would be a better word). So all those Phuket businesses will be wiping the sweat off their brows as they can get a break from the influx of millions of tourists flocking to Phuket!  

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2242951/high-season-ends-early

Most tourists have opted for refunds for their plane tickets and hotel room bookings because it is easier than applying for the Phuket sandbox programme, said Ms Charintip. 

14 hours ago, kmc said:

Agreed...I just cancelled the whole shebang!!  was due to fly 28 Jan..stayin home until  sanity returns. Its becoming a little bit....  lets fill up the hospitels/"special hotels" type scenario...

• Cool 1

33 minutes ago, Bobdown said:

Agreed...I just cancelled the whole shebang!!  was due to fly 28 Jan..stayin home until  sanity returns. Its becoming a little bit....  lets fill up the hospitels/"special hotels" type scenario...

Wise decision, possibility at least 6 months more