Connect with us

Phuket

Fatal crash victim’s family demands B2.1mn in damages

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Fatal crash victim’s family demands B2.1mn in damages | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET: The family of a German man killed in a Phuket road accident in December last year has demanded 1.3 million baht as compensation for his death and 800,000 baht for his partner’s injuries.

The suspect, Jakarin Rodpradit, 26, has requested a month to assess the situation, after both sides met for negotiations at Phuket Provincial Court this afternoon. He was granted until August 4, which is when the parties are expected to next meet.

Mr Jakarin originally denied responsibility for the crash between his car and a motorbike, driven by Andreas Walter, 47, with his partner Patcharin Lammai, 35, riding pillion (story here).

About a week after the accident, Ms Patcharin and her family submitted CCTV footage and presented witnesses to the police. When faced with the new evidence, Mr Jakarin confessed to the charges, Lt Nipon Temsung of the Karon Police told the Phuket Gazette (story here).

“Mr Jakarin was charged with reckless driving causing death, injury and property damage, without stopping and assisting the victims. This is a more serious crime than just reckless driving,” said Ms Patcharin’s lawyer, who asked not to be named.

“Mr Walter’s family initially wanted to fight the case and have Mr Jakarin serve jail time. However, after his confession, they agreed to negotiate for compensation.”

Mr Jakarin took the opportunity to apologize for his actions in December, and is currently involved in discussions with his private insurance provider, as well as PorRorBor (the compulsory motor insurance provider).

“1.2mn baht is the maximum amount that insurance companies are liable to pay in these situations – one million baht by the private company and 200,000 baht by PorRorBor. We need time to discuss the extent to which the companies will be willing to pay in this situation,” said Mr Jakarin.

“As for the 800,000 baht for Ms Patcharin’s compensation, I honestly feel it is quite high. However, we will consider and discuss this as well.”

Ms Patcharin, however, was insistent on her demands and said that she will push for a harsher sentence if they are not met.

“This amount [800,000 baht] includes the hospital fee, plastic surgery, laser treatment, loss of income during my time in the hospital, damage to the bike, and various other expenses. If our terms are not met, we will do our best to ensure that he faces jail time,” Ms Patcharin told the Gazette.

“We want everything to end peacefully. Let’s wait and see what happens in August,” she added.

— Kongleaphy Keam

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading

Trending