Connect with us

Phuket

Aussie attacked by Phuket tiger returns to Kingdom

Legacy Phuket Gazette

Published 

 on 

Aussie attacked by Phuket tiger returns to Kingdom | The Thaiger
  • follow us in feedly

PHUKET: The Australian tourist who was mauled by a Phuket tiger last year returned to Tiger Kingdom yesterday to visit the big cats.

“This is my first time on the island since the last visit twelve months ago. My leg is good… it healed well,” said Paul Goudie, who immediately set off for Tiger Kingdom with his wife Jennifer and son Jake, once they arrived in Phuket.

“The doctor took the muscle from the other leg and put it over here [the injured leg]. It took four months to heal; I went back to work in February. However, it is all about [having] a good attitude. I’m not angry at anyone.”

In October last year, Mr Goudie had just had his photograph taken inside a cage with a tiger and was struggling to stand up when one of the Tiger Kingdom employees watching the animal went to steady him and prevent him from falling on the big cat.

“We believe the tiger was trying to protect our staff, so it bit Mr Goudie. Notice that it attacked him instead of our employee, who was standing closer to the tiger’s head,” said Tanawin Boonpang, Tiger Kingdom’s supervisor, to the Phuket Gazette in an exclusive interview following the attack (story here).

Since the accident, Tiger Kingdom employees have kept in regular contact with Mr Goudie and were happy to see him return.

Though Mr Goudie said that his fondness for tigers and big cats in general remained, he wasn’t quite ready to get back in the cage with them.

“I don’t know if I’ll go back into the cage. We’ll see, maybe. One step at a time,” Mr Goudie said. “I’m just happy to come back and catch up with everyone.

Mr Goudie, who continued to give glowing statements about Tiger Kingdom and the care he received at Phuket International Hospital, will be in Phuket for two and half weeks.

“Last time, I missed seeing things. [There’s] a lot of things I want to catch up on,” he said.

— Chutharat Plerin

Keep in contact with The Thaiger by following our Facebook page.



Read more headlines, reports & breaking news in Phuket. Or catch up on your Thailand news.

Archiving articles from the Phuket Gazette circa 1998 - 2017. View the Phuket Gazette online archive and Digital Gazette PDF Prints.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Phuket

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht

Maya Taylor

Published

on

Phuket officials visit Kamala restaurant after customer charged 6,750 baht | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Facebook/ Lalita Chaiyasit

A seafood restaurant in Kamala, a west coast town in Phuket, has received strong criticism on social media after trying to charge a customer 6,750 baht for a takeaway meal. 3,000 baht of the bill was a “cooking fee”. Lalita Chaiyasit took to social media to vent her disbelief after receiving the bill. She says she was on holiday with her family in Phuket and wanted to order some food for delivery to their hotel. At the recommendation of their tour guide, she chose the Nanork Restaurant in Kamala, sending the tour guide to pick up the food. A report […]

Continue Reading

Tourism

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life

The Thaiger

Published

on

Phuket’s Lard Yai Sunday night market springs back to life | The Thaiger
PHOTO: Lard Yai springs back to life - Phuket People's Voice

The Lard Yai Sunday night walking street along Thalang Road Old Phuket Town has reopened to the delight of vendors, locals and a few expats. It has been closed for 3 months after lockdowns were applied to community markets. New Provincial Governor Narong Woonchiew says he welcomes people back to the popular market. “The province and the private sector have worked hard to make sure Lardyai walking street is safe and complies with social distancing practices to regain tourists’ confidence.” Lard Yai, a fairly recent addition to Phuket’s vibrant market scene (about 4 years ago), became an instant success in […]

Continue Reading

Opinion

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy

The Thaiger

Published

on

Two years ago – remembering Phuket’s Phoenix boat tragedy | The Thaiger

“There were 13 children that died in this disaster. Many were later found dead, floating face down, not far from their deceased parents.” On an otherwise ordinary afternoon, two tour boats, Phoenix and Serenata, were heading back to Phuket after a half day tour of snorkelling near Koh Racha. The weather forecast was for seasonal monsoonal SW winds and waves, about the usual for that time of the year. But there was also a weather warning for a storm later in the afternoon of July 5, 2018. For whatever reasons the captains of the two vessels started heading back to […]

Continue Reading

Trending