Thailand is extending its Smart Visa scheme, aiming to draw in more talent to the kingdom. While the scheme used to cover 13 industries, the Thai cabinet yesterday approved extending the scheme to cover 18.
Since 2018, Thailand has offered a SMART visa for foreigners who wish to work or invest in the following industries…
- Next Generation Automotive
- Affluent, Medical and Wellness Tourism
- Agriculture and Biotechnology
- Aviation and Logistics
- Biofuels and Biochemicals
- Medical Hub
- Smart Electronics
- Food for the Future
- Automation and Robotics
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Resource Development in Science and Technology
- Environmental Management and Renewable Energy
The new industries that will be covered include:
- Aerospace and aerospace
- Industries that support a ‘Circular Economy’ e.g., renewable energy production and water management
- Technology innovation and startup ecosystem management
- Targeted technology development and international business centres
Smart Visa holders can stay in Thailand for up to four years and are exempted from work permit requirements.
The SMART Visa Type S is designed especially for foreigners who want to establish a startup in Thailand. It allows you to stay in Thailand for 6 months if you have a business plan, one year if you join an incubator or accelerator program, or two years if you have already established a certified startup company in Thailand.
To learn more about the SMART Visa Type S, click HERE.
SOURCE: Bangkok Post
- Win a 3-night beachfront stay at Four Points by Sheraton Phuket by taking a short Thaiger Survey HERE!
Join the conversation and have your say on Thailand news published on The Thaiger.
Thaiger Talk is our new Thaiger Community where you can join the discussion on everything happening in Thailand right now.
Please note that articles are not posted to the forum instantly and can take up to 20 min before being visible. Click for more information and the Thaiger Talk Guidelines.